Stigma ?

I have had issues with my wife regarding my sons autism. She wants to keep the facts under wraps. She has not told anyone in her family (or mine) about our sons condition. She wants to 'fix' him first before she tells everyone about it. At the same time she is worried that people will start calling him names, or make fun of his condition.

This is where i totally disagree with her. I believe a family is there during the ups and downs, during good times as well as bad times. If for nothing else, we need that moral support so badly. Who knows, we may get good referrals to doctors, other parents, groups etc. My approach is : This is my son, this is how he is. If you accept him as he is... great! if not... adios!

I feel she is being totally foolish, and to some extent selfish. Gives me the feeling that she is placing others opinion as a higher priority than our sons recovery... if that is a possibility.